Monday, February 22, 2016

ALC 2016: 104 Days Left, 7% of Goal


THANK YOU
Ooooboy, am I in it now! Very sore but also energized today to get to gettin'. But first, HUGE thank you to Katy Streeter, Heather Forest and Sarah Morgan for donating to my ride. My body has been fighting me every step toward training and these contributions make it hard for me to turn back. Thank you all for the encouragement and support!

TRAINING
After a cold set my training back a few weeks, I jumped into it full force. Spinning, Spinning, Spinning and then yesterday a much bigger training ride than I was ready for. I met my riding buddy, Tom, out in Orinda for what I thought would be a short cruise by a field of cows. No. It was a 48 mile hilly struggle that has me creaking and grunting like an old man today. When I got home Jon presented me with flowers:

Jon: (holding up flowers) I'm so proud of you!

Me: (barely standing) Thank you. I just want to take a shower and get out of these clothes.

Jon: What can I do?

Me: Can you whisper poetry into my ass.

Jon: (wincing) That is maybe the weirdest and grossest thing you have ever said to me.

Not true. I've said much weirder and grosser things. I'm sure of it. In the many training rides to come, I know I will look back on this and remember how easy it was.

About to set out.

EATING

I'd forgotten how ravenous training makes me--like almost inhuman. At lunch on the training ride we stopped at Lunardi's. They make huge, and in my opinion, over-priced sandwiches. But good. Tom and I both got tuna and a medium bag of chips. Just about every rider (there were 50 on our ride) got a sandwich. We sat around the front of the store and chatted while we ate. Many riders remarked, "These sandwiches are huge. How am I going to finish this?" Meanwhile my sandwich, in its entirety, and a bag of chips, and part of Tom's chips, and another rider's bag of chips were digesting happily in my gut. NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

BE CAREFUL
My thoughts go out to the rider this weekend who got into a nasty accident and is in a coma. I don't know any details but it happened on the same ride I rode Sunday. I don't take lightly how dangerous it can be out on those roads. I've seen people have nasty spills and have even fallen myself. Ride safe. Drive safe. Be safe.

GIF
My tribute to Scalia.


WAYS TO GIVE

  • Online: Give to my ride online by clicking here
  • Post: Print form by clicking here and mail donation to:
    AIDS/LifeCycle
    c/o San Francisco AIDS Foundation
    1035 Market St, Suite 400
    San Francisco, CA 94103

No comments:

Post a Comment