Tuesday, March 1, 2016

ALC 2016: 96 Days Left, 11% of Goal


 

THANK YOU
I'm in double digit percentages of my goal!--And all my donors this week were from couples. Thank you Cori Cunningham and Lauri Jones, Nicola and Jim Foley, and Chrissy and Rich Haring! I'm working harder every day to condition myself for this ride and deeply appreciate your support.

Our route, 40 miles.

TRAINING
I rode a considerably easier route this week--40 miles in Tiburon. Last week's route was 48 miles and believe me, there will be a day soon when I dream of only doing 48 miles. But for now, 40 miles feels right and something I can build on.

I found this guy who thinks about his routes by what animal he wants to "ride"
...maybe something I can aspire to.

SPIN and SMILING/NOT SMILING
Besides the actual training rides, I'm in the gym 2-3 times a week for Spin. I'm not really a fan of Spin classes but it's a good way for riders to build up endurance. This week, I went to a more advanced class, which is almost all climbs and a real challenge for where I'm at in my training. The instructor, who was there two years ago when I was a regular Spinner remembered me by name and called me out multiple times on her headset for not smiling.

I'm not really a smiley person in that when I'm walking down the street I'm not just naturally smiling. Am I angry? No. I'm just not smiling. But especially when hunched over a sticky bike, trying not to vomit in my mouth, I'm not smiling. Here's how I remember the class:

(Spin class is in session. Floors are slick with sweat. Sour body odor hangs in the air. Loud trance music with lots of distortion is pumping through speakers. The instructor rides in front of a determined class. She screams into her headset, which is somehow much louder than the already cranked music.)

Instructor: (screaming into headset) ALRIGHT, IF YOU'RE NOT ON LEVEL 9 RIGHT NOW, GET ON THERE. FOLLOW MY PACE. (Riders in class are breathing hard, barely able to keep up.) RYAN!!! I DON'T SEE YOU SMILING!! (I smile as best I can, making sure she sees me.) YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO BETTER THAN THAT! (I flash an exaggerated grin.) OUTTA THE SADDLES! PUSH IT PEOPLE! RYAN!!! WHERE IS THAT SMILE? I WANT YOUR SMILE ON A LEVEL 9, YOU'RE NOT EVEN GIVING ME A PUSH POINT SMILE. YOU MISERABLE EXCUSE FOR A RIDER, YOU SHOULD BE PEDALING SO FAST YOUR BIKE BUSTS OUT OF THAT STATIONARY STAND AND BREAKS THROUGH THE WALL--ALL WHILE YOU ARE SMILING. I WANT YOUR WHEELS CREATING FIRE, ENOUGH TO EVAPORATE ALL THIS SWEAT AND STEAM THE HELL OUT OF THESE WALLS, AND THROUGH THAT STEAM I WANT TO SEE YOU SMILESMILESMILESMILE!!!

BLACKOUT

Tom and I at Chrissy Fields,
just before the bridge. (PC Tom)

WAYS TO GIVE

  • Online: Give to my ride online by clicking here
  • Post: Print form by clicking here and mail donation to:
    AIDS/LifeCycle
    c/o San Francisco AIDS Foundation
    1035 Market St, Suite 400
    San Francisco, CA 94103

No comments:

Post a Comment